Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Well, with a new blog comes yet another declaration of intent to not fall behind on it...yeah, I don't believe it either. Hopefully, I can make a go of it this time, as I really don't have anything else to do with my time. At least, not until Lego Batman comes out. Anyway, just a few different things catching my attention these days, mostly movie-related right now...

- "News" on the third Batman movie. Apparently, Michael Caine is under the impression that Johnny Depp is going to play the Riddler and Phillip Seymour Hoffman is going to be playing the Penguin. Unfortunately for him, there's no script yet, so there's utterly no basis to the statements. Hoffman is interested in playing Penguin, and while I think he could do a good job, I like Bob Hoskins better for the role. As for Depp...well, I think he's terribly overrated, although still a pretty good actor. But I don't see him as the Riddler. Personally, I think they should put villains in the movie who haven't been in others. While Penguin and Riddler need redemption, it should come after Deadshot, Clayface, or Killer Croc get their shot. But I am glad this rumour is taking the steam out of the claims that Cher is going to be playing Catwoman. Ugh.

- Apparently, it's been confirmed that Sam Raimi and Tobey Maguire are going to be back for Spider-man 4. While I'm not entirely thrilled with this, I'm not entirely disappointed. Spider-man 3 was a collossal disappointment, but I am glad that the style of the movies will be continued. They should go for a clean break with the older storylines, maybe skip things forward 6 months. Give up on the Goblins. Now, the guy who wrote this movie also wrote "Zodiac", so I'm hopeful that it means a more mature, and tighter, storyline. I'd like to see the Lizard in Spidey 4, and I'd like to see him be hunted across the city by Kraven the Hunter. And the rumour further states that both Spider-man 4 and 5 will be filmed simultaneously, so maybe instead of cramming too much story into one film, and breaking it, like they did with Spider-man 3, they can go with a bigger story spread out over two films. Perhaps an adaption of "Kraven's Last Hunt", one of the most acclaimed Spider-man stories of all time.

- The success of "Iron Man", "Incredible Hulk", and the monstrous juggernaut that is "The Dark Knight", has caused Fox to re-evaluate their own superhero line-up (re: the characters they're licensing from Marvel). In addition to Wolverine and Magneto getting their own movies, we may get an X-Men prequel. Also, they're thinking of dusting off Daredevil, which given the hard-on people have now for dark and gritty heroics, is perfect, as Daredevil is one of the grittiest super-heroes out there.

- So, the summer has come to an end, and while I missed two of the movies I wanted to see (Hellboy 2 and X-Files 2), I did see some movies that I wasn't planning on catching that turned out pretty good, like "Wall-E" and "Pineapple Express". All in all, a great summer for movies. And TDK, ah, what's left to say? For me, nothing. The fall still has some movies left for me, with "Burn After Reading" and "Quantum of Solace" still upcoming.

- Next summer looks good, although there's no real comic movies I'm looking forward to. "Star Trek" and "Harry Potter" were delayed from this year to next summer, so I'm still looking forward to seeing them. "G.I. Joe" and "Transformers 2" are the big ones for me next year, and I'm hoping that there will be a crossover of sorts between them, as I believe that they're being made by the same studio, and there's a rich history between the two franchises. Also at some point next year, "Ant-Man" and "The Mighty Thor" are SUPPOSED to come out, but until there's a set date, I'm not getting excited.

No comments: